Sunday, March 20, 2011

Making Your Own Flowers Tutorial



At least one of you asked for it, so you all get it! Here is how to make dimensional flowers from flat cuts. You will need medium weight paper, glue, scissors, and patience!



I have the Cricut that cuts to 5" wide, so I can make flowers from 1 - 5 inches wide. I am demonstrating a two inch cut. The cartridge is used is the Mother's Day Bouquet Cartridge. I used flower image 15 for the demonstration.









These flowers can be made from fabric or paper. You can also use punches rather than using a machine for cutting. For each of these flowers, I am using three pieces cut to the identical size.



Out of the first flower cut one petal to the center, the second cut two (will look like a heart), and the third cut three. For this flower we will use each of the larger cuts and the cut of three petals.



I like to lightly fold up one of the end petals, it really helps me to be able to roll the cone more accurately.



Apply glue to the front of one petal and form the cone out of each of the flat cuts.



I like to secure my flowers with clips, but you can just as easily hold them until they begin to dry.



Now comes the fun part, putting the flower together! Take the smallest cone (made from the three petals) and cut off the bottom at an angle. Fill the next larger cone with a drop of glue and place the smaller cone inside. Let dry. You will repeat this building step with each of the cones. It is best to cut off the tips so they lay correctly and the centers don't stick up too high.







When I do the outside layer, I like to lightly bend down the petals. I think it gives a more natural look.



The finished flower should look something like this:



You can end here or use spritz to finish. I used Smooch gold spritz and Tattered Angels Cinnamon Glimmer Mist to finish my flower. These are super inexpensive to make, when compared to premade flowers AND are fun too!



Our Lady's Rose - Thanks for stopping by to look! Peace be with you.

1 comment:

  1. This is ages after you first posted this, but I'm going to try these flowers soon. Beautiful! Thank you so very much, and God Bless.

    ReplyDelete